Everton manager Ronald Koeman has refused to rule out a late move to sign Chelsea contract rebel Diego Costa.
The Spain international is currently in an indefinite strike in Brazil as he looks to plot a potential exit from Stamford Bridge before deadline day. Atletico Madrid have remained hot favourites to land the striker in recent weeks, but their ongoing transfer ban has restricted them from negotiating a sizeable sum for his services.
As a result, the Toffees have emerged as a surprise destination for the Spaniard as they seek to add a world-class striker to their ranks before the close of the transfer window. Following Everton’s 2-0 defeat at Chelsea, Koeman was asked whether he would consider a potential move for the Blues outcast, for which he refused to comment.
He said: “I don’t know [about Costa]. We are looking at players who are available and if we sign somebody, it is somebody who makes the team better. I don’t speak about names, about players. It is the media who is talking about Costa or other players. But we are looking and we do our job and hopefully, we will arrange it [a striker to arrive] for next week.” Read More
Everton defender Leighton Baines has praised the move of former Manchester United star Wayne Rooney.
The defender says the all-time goalscorer for United has “a lot” to contribute to the team.
Everton FC are set to face GorMahia in Tanzania on Thursday and Rooney is expected to feature for the first time in a royal blue jersey since his return to his boyhood club. The England national team skipper trained with the team on Wednesday evening after his grand arrival at Dar esSaleem. He had completed the deal from Old Trafford on Sunday before making the flight to join his teammates on Wednesday.
Everton stars have been involved in a number of cultural events since they arrived at the African country. AdemolaLookman, IdrissaGueye, YannickBolasie and Baines visited the UhuruMchanganyiko Primary School. They were showed what UK Aid were doing for the physically impaired students. Read More
Ronald Koeman reckons that Leighton Baines has flown under the radar a little bit as people haven’t talked about him in the on-going season as much as they should.
As per Koeman, the contribution of Baines in Everton’s recent run in the Premiership has been as big as that of anyone else and he has proved that even in his thirties, he is worth his weight in gold.
In Koeman’s opinion, Baines is a wise Footballer and his subtleties on the pitch are brilliant to watch. But, it’s just that there are a few Footballers who gather all the attention and there are a few others who don’t get that much of it despite playing equally well and Baines sadly comes in the second category despite being a top notch defender.
Koeman also doesn’t think that Baines is approaching the end of his stint at Everton. The coach backs the 32-year old to continue to be at his peak for at least a couple of more seasons or possibly even longer than that as he has kept his body in a great shape so far. Read More
Everton defender Leighton Baines believe that the players have adapted to Ronald Koeman playing style and that they are now performing better.
He admitted that things have not been easy in the beginning as Ronald Koeman is quite demanding as manager, but the players have managed to adapt to his training method.
Leighton Baines said that Ronald Koeman is an ambitious person and he is always looking for ways to improve the team. He has told the players that he want them to challenge for a place in the Europa League and that they should all be giving their best on the pitch.
Baines said that their defensive record was very poor before the arrival of Koeman and the manager has managed to bring changes at the back. He said that Koeman favor a more pressing style and he wants his players to be aggressive on the pitch. Baines stated that it was not easy in the beginning as this mean that some players had to change their playing style to fit the manager’s demand. Read More
Everton manager Ronald Koeman has said that the injury to Yannick Bolasie is a big one.
The coach who took over from Roberto Martinez at the start of the season has had both highs and lows, after he left his former club – Southampton. Ahead of the Toffee’s
visit to Watford, Koeman spoke to Sky Sports
Koeman admitted that he does not have the players at the club to play exactly how he wanted. A lot of enthusiasm greeted Koeman’s start at the club after his incredible run in the last campaign but a win in nine league games has dampened the drive in the team.
“From the start after pre-season, we knew that we needed a change in the team. Even in that good run, we knew that we had to change some things,” Koeman said.
On what he need to change, the Dutchman pointed to the team’s struggle to “press opponents.”
“Sometimes we’re doing individual pressing instead of team pressing and that starts from the front,” Koeman added. Belgium striker Romelu Lukaku is the lead striker and with his poor record of covering the least ground last season, the coach has problems with it. However, Koeman refused to single out any player as he feels it is a team problem.
“If the players at the front are pressing and the defenders are not pushing up, that means there is too much room for out opponent. The team is too long, not compact enough, and then it’s difficult,” he said. Read More
Former Newcastle United player Moussa Sissoko has explained why he snubbed interests from Everton during the transfer window.
The France international opted to move to Tottenham Hotspurs. He disclosed the reasons for his move to spurs ahead of Everton, and it is not stunning.
“Why would I have joined Everton? Spurs are a bigger club. Without wishing to offend Everton, Tottenham in my opinion is a bigger club than Everton,” Sissoko explained.
The player moved to White Hart Lane for £30 million with his pricing rising after his impressive run at the Euro 2016 for France. The 27-year old drew interests from all quarters after the Euro. The player reportedly switched off his phone to avoid calls from Everton coach Ronald Koeman ahead of his spurs move. Koeman wanted to convince him to join his movement for the new term but the player had decided already. Read More
Barely six months ago, Farhad Moshiri entered the lives of “Evertonians,” but has forced sweeping changes in the team and club as a whole.
A majority of Everton fans don’t even know him much, despite the changes he has made in the football club. He is reported to have made the decision to own the club on February 27th when he acquired half the available stake in Everton. He hasn’t made much appearances, aside a few statements and a brief appearances on the club’s website.
In the short time he has owned the club, the club’s manager has been sacked and a top replacement gotten. Steve Walsh has been poached from the Premier League champions, and plans are in place for a new stadium even as a facelift for Goodison is in place.
Fans want top players to join the recent crop in the squad, but the process has been frustrating. Moshiri said he was set to provide coach Ronald Koeman funds to acquire more players before the transfer deadline – which closes 11pm Wednesday, August 31. This summer Wales international Ashley Williams joined from Swansea, even as the club lost John Stones to Manchester City in a big money move.
Everton has joined the race for getting the players they want.
Their interest currently lies in Tim Krul. Ronald Koeman is a long term fan of Krul and he wishes to get the player for his goal keeping skills. You might have seen Krul in his goal keeper position as he has been a constant figure for Newcastle United and adhered to the training sessions as was required of him. The transfer market coming alive will certainly see Krul was part of a tug of war. His current team would probably be resisting his transfer while Everton would be looking to place a lucrative bid for the player. Their interest is not without purpose. The new boss of the team, Ronald Koeman would be looking at Krul as he has great admiration for his skills.
Ronald, brother to Frank de Boer says the tactician is keen on the Everton Manager’s role, though he added that:
“It’s not up to him to make the move, that’s up to the club.”
The Toffees have also been linked with Southampton boss Ronald Koeman and Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez following the sacking of current coach, Roberto Martinez. Benitez is an “almost perfect fit” for Everton, former England defender Danny Mills told BBC Radio 5 live. He said the former Liverpool boss would be open to a return to Merseyside.
“He lives there, his family is there and he’d be happy going back.
He also added it was “not beyond the realms of possibility” that Benitez ended up Everton and Martinez replaced him at Newcastle, where he would likely use the advantage of the clause of his contract to leave as they have been relegated.
There are other contenders in current Manchester City coach, Manuel Pellegrini, set to leave as the club has appointed Bayern boss, Pep Guardiola as the next in line from this summer. There are others in Mark Hughes, Brendan Rodgers, David Moyes, Martin O’Neill and Unai Emery. Hughes has impressed at Stoke City and Rodgers remains out of a job since being sacked by Liverpool in October. Former Toffees boss Moyes, who spent 11 years in charge at Goodison, is also available after unsuccessful stints at Manchester United and Real Sociedad. O’Neill will guide the Republic of Ireland at Euro 2016 but has yet to sign a new contract for the 2018 World Cup while Emery will secure a hat-trick of Europa League titles with Sevilla if the Spanish side beat Liverpool in this season’s final. Read More